East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Sunday Times Best Places To Live In Britain...

...regional winner, Peckham!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

ETA: [www.standard.co.uk]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 19, 04:43pm by rendelharris.

My Anti-Virus ESET Nod32 blocked the 'standard' link above as unsafe ..

Click at your own risk.

DulwichFox
Anything edited by Mr.Osborne should be regarded as unsafe but it is a straight link to the Standard website!
I watch in disbelief as people buy the Sunday Times. What are the values or insights expressed in this newspaper that might be productive to engage with? I fear, as a general rule, none.

In many ways I think it is worse than a tabloid. At least there one has the option of reading as if the model reader can sustain irony in response to what is written (this reader is probably the case for the journalists who produce them, thought not, perhaps, for the majority of empirical readers).



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was march 19, 08:37pm by jaywalker.

I feel it incumbent upon myself, for the good of my reputation, to point out that I do not purchase the Sunday Times and would not give a penny to any Murdoch outlet - I just happened to see the story on the BBC!
Remind me again - what's virtue signalling?

"I watch in disbelief as people buy the Sunday Times. What are the values or insights expressed in this newspaper that might be productive to engage with? I fear, as a general rule, none."

mmm- interesting and in fact amazing that you know so much and draw such sweeping conclusions on something you don't read?
The Sunday Times is sh!te though ££££ - my mother buys it so I do see it sometimes. Not just because of its political stance though - I find the Telegraph a good read even though I disagree with virtually all its opinions - but because it has that Murdoch feel that its journalists are just people from The Sun with extra adjectives.
Please can we not use the phrase 'virtue signalling'.
Due to Grime DJs smiling smiley

Love it - Come to Peckham People.
Looking at the list of other regional winners I wouldn't take that list too seriously.

Louisa.
All lists are arbitrary.
rahrahrah Wrote:

Please can we not use the phrase 'virtue signalling'.

Yep, when people stop doing it.
Loz Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
-----
> Please can we not use the phrase 'virtue
signalling'.

Yep, when people stop doing it.


I think tha as ££££'S bought that phrase to the forum, he alone should be able to use it.
They have to change the lists each year to make it interesting.

So, apart from Dartford, most places will get a mention eventually.
Loz Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
> Please can we not use the phrase 'virtue signalling'.

Yep, when people stop doing it.

Pretty much this. Sanctimony has always been rife on the good old EDF.
Jeremy Wrote:

Pretty much this. Sanctimony has always been rife
on the good old EDF.

Once it becomes the SPF all will change and utopia
will come smiling smiley

Michael Gove told me so.
Jeremy Wrote:

> Loz Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
-----
> > rahrahrah Wrote:
>
--------------------------------------------------

> > Please can we not use the phrase 'virtue
signalling'.
>
> Yep, when people stop doing it.

Pretty much this. Sanctimony has always been rife
on the good old EDF.

Isn't accusing people of virtue signalling just sanctimony in another form, in fact virtually virtue signalling itself?

Anyway it's become pretty meaningless now, it's so overused on t'internet - it's the new "political correctness gone mad."
I'm increasingly a fan of unvirtue signalling..

..."anyone who takes the Guardian seriously is a tosser"

Thank kind of stuff
££££ Wrote:

I'm increasingly a fan of unvirtue signalling..


Is this were you laugh inappropriately - then when someone
says how dare you laugh at that, you laugh again.
rendelharris Wrote:

Isn't accusing people of virtue signalling just
sanctimony in another form, in fact virtually
virtue signalling itself?

Well, the problem is of course that it's not always easy to differentiate a boring display of soap-box sanctimony from genuine conviction, so it's not a phrase I often (if ever) choose to use myself. Besides, it smacks of newfangledism, which is so not me.

But nevertheless, blatant flashing of one's left-leaning credentials is a common enough occurrence amongst liberal Londoners. It doesn't usually bother me that much, but it can be a bit nauseating when people lay it on especially thickly.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 20, 02:12pm by Jeremy.

Agreed ££££s - Guardian readers like a label as much as anyone else, if not more. In their eyes its an attractive label. An artistic/fair thinking/liberal label. Most of them have a load of money



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 20, 02:10pm by Mick Mac.

"I watch in disbelief as people buy the Sunday Times. What are the values or insights expressed in this newspaper that might be productive to engage with? I fear, as a general rule, none."

This is much more old-fashioned and straightforward than virtue-signalling. It's called being a cock.
well, I think the whole thing about Peckham being top place to live is a test of Newspaper Power - if the newspapers say it, can it become true? Can it convince enough people to buy property in Peckham that it will eventually become the top place to live?

Quite a topic at our office lunch today... they obvs wanted the detail from their insider (me!)
Although I much prefer it to East Dulwich with all the crime and poshness.
Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

Although I much prefer it to East Dulwich with all
the crime and poshness.


Is this because posh people commit more crimes ;)
JohnL Wrote:

> Jules-and-Boo Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
-----
> Although I much prefer it to East Dulwich with
all
> the crime and poshness.


Is this because posh people commit more crimes ;)


Yah Jono ... but white collar crimes, none of this hard graft of breaking n entering or diamond heists like the common oiks do

--------------------
Artful
a little bit of jest - no reason to misconstrue it....

but local crime is a hot topic in ED
Discussion has totally lost me - 'you lot' are talking in tongues again. Returning to the original subject I was going to post "Ah diddums, are we a likle bit upset because Peckham is more desirable than SE22"

But that would be unnecessarily provocative.

I like lists as see them as good fun, noting that they are subjective and info can be manipulated. I quite like 'crap towns'. Also recall a TV programme that had a list of the most dangerous towns to live in. For London they broke this down to the borough level, whilst Nottingham which most think is a lovely place to live in was tarred with one brush based on the drugs and gangs in the Meadows and St Annes and was considered to be the most dangerous place in the country.
Isn't this a case of Sunday Times just pointing out places that are vaguely trendy at the moment? (See also Bristol)

It will fall off the list soon enough.
malumbu Wrote:

Returning to the
> original subject I was going to post "Ah diddums,
> are we a likle bit upset because Peckham is more
> desirable than SE22"

Not me squire, being 150 yards into SE15 I'm quite happy!

Original thread | JSON