East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Concern for Dianne - Latest Update

Concern mounts over Dianne Abbot's health as she falls seriously ill yet again - just prior to one-on-one interview live on Woman's hour today.

Coming so soon after she was sadly afflicted with migraine which prevented her from voting on Article 50, genuine conern mounts over such a key shadow cabinet member.

Show her your support by voting for her on 8th as none of us want to miss out on her contributions in the future.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was june 07, 09:30am by Windrush.

What if I donate a screwdriver so she can get her loose srcew fixed .
Maybe it's that wig that causes her brain to overheat. Could explain the migraines and the numerical ineptitude.

Never mind, I'd justlike to know if she took it off when she had her intimate moments with JC.
there's a website somewhere just for you.
She's probably scared stiff she'll put her foot in it again. I wonder if she has nightmares about being unprepared...
Everyone thinks she's pretending to be ill - but I see signs of stress and distress and I'm beginning to hate the term "car crash interview".

It can't be nice when you're portrayed as a national joke.
Dianne's trouble is she's had it too good for too long, with a nice comfy seat. And who wouldn't enjoy that, along with sending her boy to private shool.

Only now she gets a shot at the bigger stage, and she's unfit for the gig at hand. All the years of defending 'the party' and saying 'MANDATE' as many times as a human being can, have left her thin on policy matters, and here right now is when policy matters matter.

She might have been able to guff her way through meetings with her own party, constituency, on a TV debate. But the nitty gritty is beyond her and she's been found out.

Plus she's developed that slow-slow style of answer, which under pressure just comes across as time wasting.

Lastly, she's irritating beyond measure, she knows it, and plays on it.
Windrush Wrote:

Concern mounts over Dianne Abbot's health as she
falls seriously ill yet again - just prior to
one-on-one interview live on Woman's hour today.

Coming so soon after she was sadly afflicted with
migraine which prevented her from voting on
Article 50, genuine conern mounts over such a key
shadow cabinet member.

Show her your support by voting for her on 8th as
none of us want to miss out on her contributions
in the future.

*chuckles to self
hardly a reason to vote fore someone... coz they're "ill"
*continues chuckling
Seabag Wrote:

Dianne's trouble is she's had it too good for too
long, with a nice comfy seat. And who wouldn't
enjoy that, along with sending her boy to private
shool.

Only now she gets a shot at the bigger stage, and
she's unfit for the gig at hand. All the years of
defending 'the party' and saying 'MANDATE' as many
times as a human being can, have left her thin on
policy matters, and here right now is when policy
matters matter.

She might have been able to guff her way through
meetings with her own party, constituency, on a TV
debate. But the nitty gritty is beyond her and
she's been found out.

Plus she's developed that slow-slow style of
answer, which under pressure just comes across as
time wasting.

Lastly, she's irritating beyond measure, she knows
it, and plays on it.

I'm not qualified to know what's culture and what's just her - Lots of Jamaicans I speak to speak to speak very slowly and I have read that she works very hard and well between giving bad interviews

It did feel a little racist this morning when two posh white people (Keir Starmer being interviewed by Sarah Jane Mee) were talking about her with her having no ability to respond.
All I can say is that when I used to watch her as part of that double act with Michael Portillo on This Week, she was able to talk well and coherently.

Maybe her willingness to talk about detail - when someone like May doesn't ever go into detail is the issue.
There wasn't really any pressure on her on the Brillo show though. It was generally a relaxed environment where opposing views weren't seriously challenged, and consensus was seen as a good thing

Now that she's having to be more partisan and is being challenged in detail, she's been found out.
Maybe - she shouldn't get drawn into the detail then - There's something uncomfortable in my view about the way she's being demonised (Sky just did it again - "someone like Diane Abbott") - but she'll recover smiling smiley

I'm not usually that PC either - if someone says check your privilege - I normally say - yeah, I've got it smiling smiley
Last night's Evening Standard went so far but today's Times provide's puts more flesh on yesterdays health bulletin.
QUOTE...

Diane Abbott appeared to have been spotted at a London tube station chatting on her phone yesterday after pulling out of a debate on Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour because of illness.

A Twitter user named Nick Astaire posted a photograph yesterday morning with the caption “@BBCWomansHour this is a picture of Dianne Abbot in Oxford Circus tube station at 8.40am this morning — not seeming very unwell #whdebate.”

Ms Abbott then appeared to be caught out by an email prankster who sent her a message purporting to be from Seumas Milne, Mr Corbyn’s director of communications. She apparently said in a response: “Do you still want to add colour to the illness story? If so maybe we should speak.” In reply to a second email from “@Sinon_Reborn”, she said: “I am not sure what colour I can add . . . I am worried about telling untruths about my health which are easily disproved”.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t643/savedelhi/Public%20Album/Abbot_zpssygh7raz.jpg
UNQUOTE
JohnL Wrote:

Everyone thinks she's pretending to be ill - but I
see signs of stress and distress and I'm beginning
to hate the term "car crash interview".

It can't be nice when you're portrayed as a
national joke.

It didn't start here.

Andrew Neil used to constantly seek to embarrass her on This Week. And easily succeeded but I used to feel for her.

So even for a long time pre election, she showed she wasn't up to the required level, that's needed to cope with the political sparring that you can expect at the top in politics. Especially when the heat is on.
JohnL

I see that you already mentioned This Week - I however had a very different take on it.

I think Portillo was supportive and kind, so their interaction may have been as you said - but her interactions with Andrew Neil were embarrassing towards the end. Almost like he was trying to "embarrass" her out of the programme.
Well, with Diane Abbott and TM's promise to evoke Human Rights, I think it's all over.

People are so fickle.
She's out

Sick leave without any return date. Lyn Brown now Shadow Home Sec.

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 07, 10:31am by JohnL.

A bit late in the game for a substitute, had to be done though.

Is there enough time to reassure the voting masses that Lyn Brown is up to it?
Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

A bit late in the game for a substitute, had to be
done though.

Is there enough time to reassure the voting masses
that Lyn Brown is up to it?

Tories on my Twitter timeline have accused her of kicking a blind mans dog sad smiley

Hope it's a load of rubbish
Why does it matter whether Brown is up to it (if you mean the HS job)? - Diane's only tactically 'out' until she's 'better'.

She has not resigned or been replaced in the usual sense. She's just been side-lined (to try to save votes) in a way that doesn't look so embarrassing and obvious as it did yesterday.

Her email in response to the fake one speaks volumes! Anyone who is not being intellectually dishonest can see that!!

Cynics might say that sleeping with Jezza, back in the day, means she can't be booted out for long.
It's easy gone cynical and I'm suspicious myself I must admit (it looks like she's been sidelined following some poor performances). But it is also possible that she is actually unwell. It might even explain why she's been so far off her game of late.
This report doesn't say she kicked the bling man's dog - she sounds charming.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]
Maybe she really is ill? Not all health problems are as easy to spot as a broken leg. Given the timing it's natural that Labour's head of comms would be under pressure to package it into a neat statement that can be made to fit in with the bigger story. Cockup rather than conspiracy, perhaps. Also natural for other parties and the media to jump all over it, if distasteful.
That's the daily mail you've linked to.
Diane Abbott is out for an indefinite period.

Sounds pretty permanent to me.

Dulwichfox
There are some suggestions on Twitter (from reported conversations with a Labour MP), that she may have been diagnosed with a serious, long-term condition. I guess more info will come out, but perhaps we should hold back on the judgement for now.
eitherway, she is currently/ permanently not up to it and was causing problems by representing her party.
I have a suspicion it is something real (and anything mental is real to) and haven't felt she's 'right'.
DulwichFox Wrote:

Diane Abbott is out for an indefinite period.

Sounds pretty permanent to me.

Dulwichfox

I am willing to bet you are wrong. She will be back provided JC survives to the end of June. These two go back a long way - you could even say "joined at the hip".

Care for a tenner on it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 07, 11:51am by Trinnydad.

Diane certainly seems pretty vacant. It's difficult to call though as she's not the cleverest at the best of times and her tendency to [email protected]*t under pressure just makes her look particularly slow. I think she's just full of it and this is a cynical and somewhat desperate move by Jezza, but I may be proved wrong about her being ill.

Yes rah - good spot - it is the DM link (pretty obvious though!). If you Google her name and 'kicking a blind man's dog' that what comes up. Not sure of your point, although I could imagine you intended some sort of innuendo? It goes without saying the DM would lay it on thick with a trowel - naturally. That said - it appears elsewhere and she sounds pretty damn rude and up herself!

Original thread | JSON