East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Fish and Chips - we miss Seacow

Hi

Can anyone recommend a fish and chip shop that is a good (or almost) as good as the Seacow on Lordship Lane was.
NO1 is away so taking NO2 son out and fish and chips are his favourite but so far we are yet to find an alternative!

Thanks
There is a fish and chips place called Rosie's on east dulwich road, chips are nice but I don't eat fish so can't comment on that part!
The newly refurbished Semas is excellent.
Semas is very much back on track and is very good value for money

327 Underhill Road
East Dulwich

SE22 9EA
020 8299 2595

Further afield.

Codfellas is excellent
Address: 125 Bellenden Road, London SE15 4QY
Phone: 020 7657 5287

Sit in available and licenced.

Both these places far better than Seacow ever was.

DulwichFox
By far the best is brockley rock . Over the train tracks but amazing . Well amazing as fish and chips can get .
Rosie's and Codfellas both decent. Fish probably not as good as Seacow, but chips are better (and let's face it, the chips are just as important)
Thank you, we will try Codfellas as it does GF batter. I went a long time ago and collected a takeaway and it wasn't that great when we got home. Most probably because F & C should be scoffed immediately.
+1 for Semas. Chips are much better than they were. It's not fancy but decent.
I miss Seacow....
Just spotted the fish and chip shop in Camberwell has been done up and reopened. Now called Fladdas. Looked busy as I came past tonight, but not tried myself yet.
I liked the SC, it made Fish & Chips fun with the kids. But things changed and it felt a bit 'done' by the time they vacated, sadly. And those stiff chips we're not great in the end.

I liked that you could eat good fish and have a glass of wine. They had a good menu ideas in the begining and all the other places, nice enough as they are, feel like glorified cafe's.

Someone's missing a trick with a good F&C restaurant locally.
The best in the area IMHO, is the herne hill fish bar, up from HH station towards Dkk hill. We switched from Seacow when it started to go rapidly downhill and have not looked back. Do not order a large F&C though unless you are a trencherman- they have huge portions. Give it a go.
Codfellas is my local and very good it is too, they just had a refurb and have a nice little seated area, perfect!
One hour ago, I bought fish and chips from Semas - never again. We now both have a foul taste in our mouths : The chips were disgusting. Most of it was binned.
The dog, offered this greasy package, sniffed it and walked away.

We have cut up fruit, pineapple etc as a form of antidote, de-greaser, gag suppressant.

We miss the Seacow - seared tuna and salad and a glass of chilled white wine. It was noisy but good on a Friday evening, early. The fish was from Moxons? with a good selection, cooked there and then, fresh and delicious. Back to Codfellas.
I quite like the fish and chip from the place down by the old harvester / south circular. Think it's called two brothers?
Can vouch for Cod Fellas being decent, and always a friendly service.
For ultra crispy batter and excellent chips Sea Master is absolutely amazing. I would travel a long way to go to that fish shop.
Fish and chips on a Monday, never a good idea, think how long they've had the fish, unless it was frozen?
Ken's - Half Moon Lane.
I go on an ocassional pilgrimage to Walworth, to the Dolphin Fish bar. I eat Cod wth thin fresh crispy batter, with mushy peas and about a half dozen chips (I can't/won't eat too many chips). A pickled gerkin and some pepper on there makes the journey pretty well perfect.

The interior isn't anything other than white and a rather fetching mosaic of Sponge Bob. BUT, they know how to prepare and cook fresh fish and chips, and for that it's a worthwhile pull in on my way back from town.

END
Asset Wrote:

Ken's - Half Moon Lane.

I concur.
dbboy Wrote:

Fish and chips on a Monday, never a good idea,
think how long they've had the fish, unless it was frozen?

If you're eating cod, it's probably from Scandinavia/Iceland and frozen at sea.

I imagine most chippies don't use any fresh fish at all unless they're fairly upmarket ones, or in fishing towns.
Elphinstone's Army Wrote:

One hour ago, I bought fish and chips from Semas -
never again. We now both have a foul taste in our
mouths : The chips were disgusting. Most of it was
binned.
The dog, offered this greasy package, sniffed it
and walked away.

We have cut up fruit, pineapple etc as a form of
antidote, de-greaser, gag suppressant.

We miss the Seacow - seared tuna and salad and a
glass of chilled white wine. It was noisy but good
on a Friday evening, early. The fish was from
Moxons? with a good selection, cooked there and
then, fresh and delicious. Back to Codfellas.

CodFellas is Very good but a twenty minute walk for me.

Semas went through a bad patch but the person responsible now works/ owns (disputeably) at Rosies.

Semas is consistently good Nice Chips and HUGE portions. Crispy Batter.

This was a Small Cod. it was enormous

cod_sema.jpg

Lovely batter big flakes of white flesh..

DulwichFox
I had a very nice cod in a place opposite Forest Hill Station recently.

Not very convenient though!
Emily's on North Cross Road is all right.
Abe_froeman Wrote:

Emily's on North Cross Road is all right.

Lovely man, terrible soggy chips.

In my opinion.

ETA: My OH had chips from there last night which weren't soggy, so I take that back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 24, 09:54am by Sue.

Looking forward to trying Fladda, the new one in Camberwell, which has replaced the Flying Fish. That will be a hard act to follow, as they were by far the best in the area and have been much missed.

Not quite the weather for fish and chips right now though!
the best chips are made by Wetherspoons imho
uncleglen Wrote:

the best chips are made by Wetherspoons imho

I could tell you some stories about the provenance of Wetherspoons food that would turn your hair white...but if you like it, go right ahead!
This tread made me eat F&C tonite

But it was at Ocean Fish Bar, not Dolphin as I'd mentioned before

It was as ever just great.

If off the manor, do try.
agree

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 23, 05:50pm by Bajanbelle.

Whatever you do, don't waste any money at the new Fish & Chip shop FLADDA which was The Flying Fish at Camberwell Church St.
Absolutely horrible food and very expensive.

I ordered cod and fishcakes for our Dinner and it was disgusting, dry and flavourless.
The cod looked like a large fish finger and the batter was completely soggy.

The fishcakes and chips were hard and dry they were so overcooked. See M&S style photo below

Give this new place a miss, I know I will be from now on.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/kazza21/unnamed_zpsswjfd9ua.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was june 23, 05:57pm by Bajanbelle.

Original thread | JSON