East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Classic songs/music from last 30 years

I've recently been given a new toy for a birthday. I'm enjoying it as it will play music I know from years ago on instruction. However, I can remember when growing up my parents would not have been interested in what I listened to as they already knew enough from their generation to keep them happy. Alas I stopped buying music or even listening to new stuff probably 30 years ago. A bit like my parents really. So I'm asking for suggestions as to what to try that I may have missed out on. I like all sorts of music (I think), though some of the terminology may have escaped me in terms of categories.

So would you kindly suggest one song/piece I should try? I'll let you know what I think (assuming I can access it). Can't be too obscure.
This Love by Pantera....best ballad ever
Listened to that and it sounded 30+ years old. Had to Google the band and song. Not sure if it's Black Sabbath it reminds me of. Taste in music is subjective so will listen to it again. Initial impressions were the vocalist can't sing. But thanks for the suggestion.

Any more?
I'm going to hazard a guess you might like REM's Losing My Religion from their album Out Of Time...
I really liked that Red. Good guess. Never heard it before.
Pete Shelley - Homisapien ?
KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Pete Shelley - Homisapien ?

More than 30 years old - surely??

How about: The Boy with the Arab Strap - Belle and Sebastian



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 19, 01:56pm by DuncanW.

Not sure how you could have got through the last few decades without hearing "Losing My Religion", but yeah... great song, great band, if you like that then they have a large body of work to explore.

If you like that, then maybe...

Teenage Fanclub - Mellow Doubt
Sugar - Changes
The Get Up Kids - Stay Gone
William Elliot Whitmore - Let's do something impossible
Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you like that, then maybe...
>
> Teenage Fanclub - Mellow Doubt
> Sugar - Changes
> The Get Up Kids - Stay Gone

J, have you heard of The Long Ryders, gigged with REM, part of the Paisley Undergound scene in the early 80's. Also Green on Red and The Rain Parade, who were quite trippy. This article lists some more... [www.theguardian.com]
Random ear worms:

Seven nation army - White Stripes

Missing - Everything but the girl

Gardenia - Iggy Pop

Crazy in love - Beyoncé
Queens of the Stone Age- No-One Knows
Most stuff by the Foo fighters
What bunch of boring old farts you all are. You haven't got a clue.
Well I'm looking forward to listening to the suggestions Jah. How about one from you?
The New York album by Lou Reed is approx. 30yrs ago. Great album, one of his best imo.
Taylor Swift - We are never, ever getting back together

Lethal Bizzle - Fester Skank
red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> J, have you heard of The Long Ryders, gigged with
> REM, part of the Paisley Undergound scene in the
> early 80's. Also Green on Red and The Rain Parade,
> who were quite trippy. This article lists some
> more...
> [www.theguardian.com]

Yes I have heard of the Long Ryders, but not familiar with their music. Could you recommend a good album (or song) as a starting point?

I like The Replacements a lot (also mentioned in that article), but I discovered them via my interest in Bob Mould and Husker Du rather than via REM...
Bearing in mind REM was new to you I'd lucky dip a track or two from:

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
Modern Life Is Rubbish - Blur
Blue Lines - Massive Attack
Good Stuff - B52s
Straight Outta Compton - NWA

and even a bit of Nirvana and Primal Scream if you really have to.
Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes I have heard of the Long Ryders, but not
> familiar with their music. Could you recommend a
> good album (or song) as a starting point?


State of The Union, this is the opening track...

Future Islands - Seasons (waiting on you)
Kate Nash - Nicest thing
R.E.M. - at my most beautiful
Underworld - Born slippy
Maverick Sabre - I need.
Overload - Dot Rotten

Everyone of these make me smile x
I will take me a while to catch up on all of these but thanks everyone so far.
Also Queens of the Stone Age - Go with the Flow
Absolutely beautiful Mercury Rev - Hercules or Goddess on a Highway if you like a bit of rock opera
Iggy Pop Passenger
Anything from Elvis Presley 'Elvis sings Gospel' to cheer you up afterwards

HP
Maxi Priest - Wild World.
I'm thinking of 30 years ago.

The tail end of cowpunk and the like - The Pogues and The Men They couldn't Hang

The move of electro indie into mainstream - Depeche Mode

Early days of grunge

Indie Guitar Bands - Dinosaur Junior

Jesus and Mary Chain and other stuff on Creation Records - long list at the back [en.wikipedia.org]

But sometimes I find it difficult to try to listen to bands that many others rave about such as Sonic Youth or the Pixies - you had to be there at the time.
malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm thinking of 30 years ago.
>
> The tail end of cowpunk and the like - The Pogues
> and The Men They couldn't Hang
>
> The move of electro indie into mainstream -
> Depeche Mode
>
> Early days of grunge
>
> Indie Guitar Bands - Dinosaur Junior
>
> Jesus and Mary Chain and other stuff on Creation
> Records - long list at the back
> [en.wikipedia.org]
>
> But sometimes I find it difficult to try to listen
> to bands that many others rave about such as Sonic
> Youth or the Pixies - you had to be there at the
> time.

Such a tedious interview with Alan McGee from Creation on Gary Crowley's BBC London show.
red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm going to hazard a guess you might like REM's
> Losing My Religion from their album Out Of Time...

More than thirty years, bu REM's Murmur album. Radio Free Europe and Talk About the Passion were singles. Love the entire work.

Original thread | JSON