East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Acid Attack

[www.bbc.co.uk]

the media are missing the point however.
Acid is used to steal the motorcycle. It's about the motorcycle theft and motorcycle theft related crimes such as robberies, phone snatching, etc.

Something needs to be done there and the authorities made aware.
Caesi01 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.bbc.co.uk]
> 02
>
> the media are missing the point however.
> Acid is used to steal the motorcycle. It's about
> the motorcycle theft and motorcycle theft related
> crimes such as robberies, phone snatching, etc.
>
> Something needs to be done there and the
> authorities made aware.


The two young people of Asian origin who were recently attacked with acid were sitting inside their car when acid was thrown through the window.

Nothing to do with motorcycle or other theft.

It was a hate crime, which unfortunately seems to have given other people ideas.
Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Caesi01 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> [www.bbc.co.uk]
>
> > 02
> >
> > the media are missing the point however.
> > Acid is used to steal the motorcycle. It's
> about
> > the motorcycle theft and motorcycle theft
> related
> > crimes such as robberies, phone snatching, etc.
> >
> > Something needs to be done there and the
> > authorities made aware.
>
>
> The two young people of Asian origin who were
> recently attacked with acid were sitting inside
> their car when acid was thrown through the
> window.
>
> Nothing to do with motorcycle or other theft.
>
> It was a hate crime, which unfortunately seems to
> have given other people ideas.

ETA: And it's also possible that these other attacks wouldn't have been reported if the first attack hadn't happened.

A bit like suddenly the news is full of fires, which wouldn't normally have been reported if Grenfell hadn't happened.

Same thing happens if someone is badly hurt by a dog. All of a sudden the news is full of dog attacks.
[www.standard.co.uk]

2 of the incidents ended with the mopeds being taken from the victims
Sue Wrote:


>
> ETA: And it's also possible that these other
> attacks wouldn't have been reported if the first
> attack hadn't happened.
>
> A bit like suddenly the news is full of fires,
> which wouldn't normally have been reported if
> Grenfell hadn't happened.
>
> Same thing happens if someone is badly hurt by a
> dog. All of a sudden the news is full of dog
> attacks.


Currently being investigated ystday's crimes committed by the same group within short time frame
This is getting serious. The number of acid attacks in London alone this year has topped 450.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Surely high strength acid is only needed by a very very small number of people. Controls can be imposed.
Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Surely high strength acid is only needed by a very
> very small number of people. Controls can be
> imposed.


Yes. As always with these things, somebody has started a petition asking for exactly that.
I use 37% hydrocloric acid for the bog, bought from licensed premises.
I saw on TV recently someone (cannot remember who it was. Police / Politician ) suggesting that the increase
in Acid Attacks was due to the demand for more Stop and Search for Knives. Knife Crime. and therefore
Stop and Search needs to be reduced even further to prevent more Acid Attacks.

Does That make sense. ?

DulwichFox
KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> I use 37% hydrocloric acid for the bog, bought from licensed premises.

Have you thought of laying off the red meat a bit?
Not quite sure I would see the correlation.
Surely, one would increase stop&search to prevent crimes from happening, no?

I can only see that the police is currently faced with too much red tape and bureaucratic non-sense every time they try to intervene (stops, hand cuffs, pursuit,etc), that any officer probably is not too keen to risk his/her livelihood as the following read demonstrates
[bikerandbike.co.uk]
DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw on TV recently someone (cannot remember who
> it was. Police / Politician ) suggesting that the
> increase
> in Acid Attacks was due to the demand for more
> Stop and Search for Knives. Knife Crime. and
> therefore
> Stop and Search needs to be reduced even further
> to prevent more Acid Attacks.
>
> Does That make sense. ?
>


No smiling smiley

Please explain!



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 14, 08:30pm by Sue.

A few nights ago in north London my friend filmed a youth going at a moped chain with an angle grinder from her window above their block's car park. The youth fled when he saw the blue lights approaching and left his rucksack behind. My friend pointed out the rucksack but the police wouldn't touch it. When my friend and her friend emptied it, a glass bottle of acid fell out, broke and burnt the paint from the floor markings.

Two nights later a large van was back and they were stealing mopeds again This time she called the police (999) and got put in a call waiting queue due to high number of calls. That is truly worrying.

Now, as far as I know the acid is carried primarily to burn off serial numbers and distinguishing bits from the mopeds, but are a handy weapon if needed. I believe carrying acid carries a lesser sentence than a knife.

The mopeds are stolen to be used for the phone swiping.
I guess a big lesson here is you are approached by youths asking for anything, give them it. Your phone, wallet, bike is far less important than you yourself.

Perhaps consider adding cover away from the home to your contents insurance policy too.
Jesus titchy, that story is truly worrying.
I think the one of the most important things is to know how to give first aid if you witness an acid attack. St John's Ambulance has given advice to the Independent:

[www.independent.co.uk]
Time for capital punishment to step back in a while.
or conscription.
Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I saw on TV recently someone (cannot remember
> who
> > it was. Police / Politician ) suggesting that
> the
> > increase
> > in Acid Attacks was due to the demand for more
> > Stop and Search for Knives. Knife Crime. and
> > therefore
> > Stop and Search needs to be reduced even
> further
> > to prevent more Acid Attacks.
> >
> > Does That make sense. ?
> >
>
>
> No smiling smiley
>
> Please explain!

Explain.. ? I cannot explain.. I did not say it. The guy on TV said it..

Fox
Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> or conscription.


Conscription.. ??

I do not think we need such people in our Armed Forces.. Mindless Sadistic maniacs..

DulwichFox
KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Time for capital punishment to step back in a
> while.


Yes. Because taking society back the the 16th century is a sure-fire way to deal with this. Even Albert Pierrepoint did not believe it prevented anything.

You really believe it would help?
Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> or conscription.


Conscription into the military is a terrible way to deal with these things. As Fox pointed out, the services don't actually want people like this.

Interestingly in America it's not unknown for offenders to be given a choice between jail and joining up. It's a subtle difference but an important one, and often works. Perhaps it should be considered here? I don't know.
Conscription doesn't have to be active military.
It can be any national service and it would be great if one were created to instill some order.

TA for offenders only.

Would never dream of letting them out with real guns. That would probably incentivise.
Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Conscription doesn't have to be active military.
> It can be any national service and it would be
> great if one were created to instill some order.

Now this I agree with, but the idea that it is done to "install order" makes me nervous. That kind of language smacks of the 1930's. Such service has to be more about making people understand that society is a collaborative effort which requires a certain amount of compromise and teamwork. An airy-fairy pipe dream on my part perhaps, but it serves no purpose if it does not teach anything useful. It can't just be about restrictions, is has to be visionary and empowering as well.


>
> TA for offenders only.


Oh please. For starters it's called the Army Reserve now and has been for some time. Also I suspect you don't understand the role of the modern AR, or the needs of the regular forces. We need trained soldiers, not more part timers (though they are valuable), and giving an offender the chance to be prt time soldier is pointless.

>
> Would never dream of letting them out with real
> guns.

I don't know if you've ever tried to leave a military base with a weapon when not on deployment, but it's not exactly easy. Not quite sure what point you're trying to make, but the Army tends to have its weapons under tight control, and those same weapons are very hard to come by on the black market. Certainly if you mess around with one on base you're going to military prison.
The Army is actually very good at teaching people what firearms are like.
To be honest, I despair at what is going on.

Street crime seems more prevalent - maybe it is just because it's reported more or that it's on the forum nearly every day or so.

There may be special units targeting such crime, but when normal people going about their day are getting attacked, it's definately out of control.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 15, 02:28pm by Jules-and-Boo.

I think if you intentionally burn someone's face off with acid, a stranger who had no chance of anticipating or defending themself, then you've just resigned from society. Not for a year, 10 years, but forever.
That's my view, based on how abhorrent these crimes are. It's not self-defence, it's not a fight where someone picks up a weapon, it's innocent members of the public doing their normal thing and being mutilated.
I don't care what 'century' that makes it, I care about the person on the street and their safety from this kind of crime. I've always been upset by violent crimes on innocents and that won't change.
If these attacks were paid back with death for those proven guilty I believe they'd die-out.
I don't care what background someone's had, I don't care if they'd had tough parents, I don't care how bad their day's been. If you obtain acid to maim someone then know you're risking your remaining days to do so and don't squeal when you're caught.
I don't care about the morality or who says what. That's what I'd like to see, I am pissed-off about this and don't necessarily think my solution is perfect, but that's what I'd like to see. And I'll pull the trigger happily (or pour the acid back in the face of the offender, I don't feckin care).
Feck the bullshit pussy-ass high-fallutin 'logical' arguments about knives and everything else.
This crime deserved death. Other crimes, debatable, but this thread's about aceeeeeeeeeeeeeed innit.
But what happens if someone is wrongfully convicted, will there be a magic 'Undo' button?...
I haven't read the whole of this thread and do hope you don't think I'm exceptionally stupid for putting my two peneth in, but wanted to put a bit of lightheartedness here if possible....

I was out with a friend having fish and chippies in a pub it was our first date and said friend squeezed his lemon on fish and accidentally some lemon juice shot into my eye, I was too embarrassed to say anything and excused myself to the wash room.

Ooouh blimey old Hindu proverb
Acid attack on first date, doesn't reach second base.
KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> I think if you intentionally burn someone's face
> off with acid, a stranger who had no chance of
> anticipating or defending themself, then you've
> just resigned from society. Not for a year, 10
> years, but forever.
> That's my view, based on how abhorrent these
> crimes are. It's not self-defence, it's not a
> fight where someone picks up a weapon, it's
> innocent members of the public doing their normal
> thing and being mutilated.
> I don't care what 'century' that makes it, I care
> about the person on the street and their safety
> from this kind of crime. I've always been upset by
> violent crimes on innocents and that won't
> change.
> If these attacks were paid back with death for
> those proven guilty I believe they'd die-out.
> I don't care what background someone's had, I
> don't care if they'd had tough parents, I don't
> care how bad their day's been. If you obtain acid
> to maim someone then know you're risking your
> remaining days to do so and don't squeal when
> you're caught.
> I don't care about the morality or who says what.
> That's what I'd like to see, I am pissed-off about
> this and don't necessarily think my solution is
> perfect, but that's what I'd like to see. And I'll
> pull the trigger happily (or pour the acid back in
> the face of the offender, I don't feckin care).
> Feck the bullshit pussy-ass high-fallutin
> 'logical' arguments about knives and everything
> else.
> This crime deserved death. Other crimes,
> debatable, but this thread's about
> aceeeeeeeeeeeeeed innit.

Well of course you're entitled to your opinion, and certainly you hold it passionately. At least you'd be willing to carry out the courage of your convictions.

I still think you're massively wrong, and I await with interest you're answer to the very real risk of wrongful conviction.
I don't need to answer feck all mate. I'm not here to justify anything !
You can await all you want, that's not on me.

Original thread | JSON