East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Moving to ED

Hi all! I am planning on moving to East Dulwich within the next couple months, and was looking for a place to meet new people? I will know absolutely noone in London (zero, zilch, nada) and could maybe use a friend or two come fall. Any good ideas?
Can you play netball?
come on lashings, you're all take and no give - what sort of things do YOU like and that'll help people know if they like the cut of you and your American ways (fall?) winking smiley

You are moving to a cracking area and you'll do just fine. But what gives with the move and not knowing anyone? Job? Time of life?
On the run ?

Witness protection programme ?
Do you like dogging - I've heard Sydenham Woods provide al fresco jollies in the warmer months.
Hah! I figured my writing would give away my American-ness. First off, I have to admit I dont know what dogging or netball is. embarrased smiley I guess I should brush up on my English slang before I make a complete ass of myself. Well lets see about me.... Im 34, will be going to graduate school for International Relations and Diplomacy, hence the move without knowing anyone. I recently became the unwitting owner of 2 cats, so they will be coming with me. However I was thinking I should talk to at least a few people who can respond! I like pilates, jazz, am a self-proclaimed art nerd, love to read (mostly non-fiction). Ummm what else? I can tap dance! And am a rabid DIYer, even though most times Ive no idea what Im doing. Overall Im an introvert, occasionally shy, and my mom says "just asking for it since 1978". I tried to attach a pic to put a name with a face, er, log-in name.
For goodness' sake, don't mix up your dogging and netball. One involves balls and skimpy skirts.
LOL !
Gingerbeer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> ...will be going to graduate school for
> International Relations and Diplomacy...

Look on (almost) any thread and you will see so much of it in action... particularly if Huguenot and Undisputedtruth are having a (ahem) debate...

...and *Bob*'s your man for jazz B)
I used to love jazz mags when I was at school !
Billy I said I love jazz, not TO jazz! smiling smiley

Well since Im open to being the object of ridicule, Im going to ask a few questions hopefully someone will answer. And feel free to make fun of the dumb Americans in the process...

Is it true that:

I will tower over most of the populace being 6 feet tall, 6'3 in heels?

Most bars do not allow you to start a tab?

Gyms dont stay open 24 hours?

And does the stick on a manaual tranmission in a European car go 5 3 1 or 1 3 5 ???
R 4 2 2 4 R
Our Creme Eggs are 39g - that's 5g more than the US version - get ready for a full on fondant festival smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:09:08:01:33 by steveo.

Gingerbeer Wrote:

> Is it true that: I will tower over most of the populace being 6 feet tall, 6'3 in heels?

What do you know... the average adult female in the US is half an inch taller than in England.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Wherever you go, heads will turn. People will whisper to each other... "she must be American, they're ever so tall you know".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:09:08:34:24 by Jeremy.

She?
gingerbeer stated

"What do you know... the average adult female in the US is half an inch taller than in England. "

so I'd guess that's where it comes from
or this:

I will tower over most of the populace being 6 feet tall, 6'3 in heels?
I don't want to be pedantic... well I do actually, but Gingerbeer didn't state that, and 'in heels' means nothing in these free swinging times
eh? she did state that - 2 posts above mine

I thought the same about the heels mind
Jeremy Wrote:

> Gingerbeer Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is it true that: I will tower over most of the
> populace being 6 feet tall, 6'3 in heels?
>
> What do you know... the average adult female in
> the US is half an inch taller than in England.
> [en.wikipedia.org]

Did you know that an the average Englishman's penis size is approximately twice as long as the average American's?
I was just amused by the implication that Americans are significantly taller than the Brits... like she'll come over here and suddenly find herself in the land of midgets. Like Luke Skywalker in the Ewok Village.
Jeremy added the bit about the average adult female in the US being taller, not Gingerbeer.
Thank you sheilarose so gingerbeer's gender is still a bone of contention.

Is 'gingerbeer' rhyming slang I wonder?
And I thought americans would be more 'rootbeer' than gingerbeer...

Btw, my advice is to check out the 'what's on' section of this forum, loads of local things happening that you can join in depending on your interests. Good luck.

Hercule1997
Quote: Gingerbeer
6'3 in heels

So probably female.
She is female but is only 4ft 3 inches tall. Big heels.
@ steveo and sheilarose

well well - shows my eyesight is diminishing further. Sorry peeps
I think if GB (great initials for a visitor) was a 'guy' then Nette would have to have a serious word about fashion - 3" heels on men are so last decade.

There are women well over 6' here - but they are usually German tourists or Comedians.

A lot of ED bars let you run up a tab if you put your cc behind the bar.

This is really all you need to know.
Well this certainly went in the wrong direction!
*Lets clarify: Yes I am female. A chick, a broad, dame, lass, beaver, etc... (example attached)
*Sorry, I didnt mean to imply everyone there is short. My brother, in his own way of tormenting me said "You know youre going to tower over everyone there, right? Everyone will be eye level with your boobs, then what?." heh so I was just checking.
*Oh! And gingerbeer is a kind of soda (pop? I dont know what its called there), its actually really awful, but a friend of mine once said I was a tall glass of gingerbeer. I think he meant gingerale, in reference to my hair color (red) but I thought it was charming anyway so decided to adopt it as a screenname.

BTW the creme egg comment made me laugh!
We have ginger beer here too! But interestingly it is rhyming slang for something else, which may (or may not) lead to confusion at some point.

Original thread | JSON