East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Shopping?

Hello all,

Moved here yesterday and we've never lived in London. Where does one go shopping? I'm talking about places like John Lewis or similar. We've got a few home bits to pick up and we were sent to Old Kent Road...This is not the kind of shopping I had in mind...ugh. Any ideas?! TIA x
John Lewis - Oxford Street or online.

Locally: Lordship Lane - no department stores, but M&S Food, interesting shops for food, clothing, housewares etc. See also Northcross Rd - good shops and market. Have a google for local postcodes SE22, SE5, SE15, SE26 etc. to see what is available in our area (Camberwell, East Dulwich, Dulwich Village, Forest Hill etc.). Also local farmer's markets at Horniman Museum, Dulwich Village etc.

Brixton: Morleys opposite the tube station - a more traditional department store with electrical, furniture, homewares, carpets etc. Fantastic outdoor and indoor markets.

Clapham Junction: Good shopping area with department store, Waitrose and high street stores.

Welcome to our neck of the woods.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 02, 04:25pm by IlonaM.

Purley Way is about the nearest for John Lewis Home and lots of other large stores and loads of free parking
Bromley or Croydon for household shopping i.e. furniture etc.
For big high street stores in one place Bromley is closest.
There are some "big box" stores not too far in Sydenham (Bell Green). A big B&Q, Next, Currys, etc.

I do a lot of shopping online however!
Easy to get to Oxford Street for John Lewis, M&S, Selfridges, Debenhams, House of Fraser etc and Tottenham Court Road for Heals, Habitat etc.

No parking (at least not easily) but you can get stuff delivered.

Will make you lose the will to live, but so will shopping in Croydon, Bromley or the Purley Way smiling smiley

Although IKEA and Wyevale garden centre are on the Purley Way big grin



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was july 06, 01:38am by Sue.

you'll have to try out all the places to see what you like.

Stratford has a shopping centre, as does Westfield. We like to mooch about around Carnaby Street and Camden, but can't abide Oxford Street.

Different places for different things.
Went shopping in Lewisham recently (very easy on train from Peck Rye. And an easy drive too). Gap outlet - lots of brilliant deals! And kids' clothes downstairs too if you've got kids. And a not too crowded 4 floor TX Maxx!
When I moved here I felt just the same- everything is a little bit further away than I wanted! Now I've been here 4 years I have come to terms with it! Local shopping is just wonderful but sometimes you need the big stuff.

The Bell Green retail park is very helpful- a quick drive to a large Next with a home and kids section.

For everything else I either go to Bromley and park in the Glades, or more preferably, Bluewater.
Dbrskh Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> We've got a few home bits to pick up and we were sent to Old
> Kent Road...This is not the kind of shopping I had
> in mind...ugh.

How rude! Surely I'm not the only one to find this a really offensive comment?
If you are driving it takes 30min to go to Bluewater. Free parking and everything you need is there.
Growlybear Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Dbrskh Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We've got a few home bits to pick up and we were
> sent to Old
> > Kent Road...This is not the kind of shopping I
> had
> > in mind...ugh.
>
> How rude! Surely I'm not the only one to find
> this a really offensive comment?

I don't find it offensive at all (lived locally my whole life). If you're looking for somewhere like John Lewis and get sent to the Old Kent Road (B&Q, McD's, Asda etc) you're going to be disappointed aren't you? I find OKR 'urg' even though I know it well!
If you're after a John Lewis another option is to go to Peter Jones at Sloane Square, train to Victoria then the tube, bus or a nice 20 mins walk through Belgravia. I work in Victoria so use it often, nice area to shop as less busy than Oxford Street. There's a Zara at Duke of York Square that has a Home section and then the Kings Road with India Jane, that has some lovely stock, and a Habitat.
[www.streetsensation.co.uk]
[www.dukeofyorksquare.com]
Westfield Stratford easy to get to on the Overground to Canada Water, or Bromley
Vik Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Growlybear Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dbrskh Wrote:

> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > We've got a few home bits to pick up and we
> were
> > sent to Old
> > > Kent Road...This is not the kind of shopping
> I
> > had
> > > in mind...ugh.
> >
> > How rude! Surely I'm not the only one to find
> > this a really offensive comment?
>
> I don't find it offensive at all (lived locally my
> whole life). If you're looking for somewhere like
> John Lewis and get sent to the Old Kent Road (B&Q,
> McD's, Asda etc) you're going to be disappointed
> aren't you? I find OKR 'urg' even though I know it
> well!

I didn't mean to be rude or offend anyone with my comment so apologies of you were. Thank you Vik, that's exactly why I felt how I felt, not what I was expecting since I didn't ask for B&Q, Asda or Argos.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Hubby and I have got some exploring to do!

Original thread | JSON