East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

I am losing track of all the new places that are opening in the area there is so much change going on.

From memory:

ED
1. Speedo Pizza is becoming Burro e Salvia (I got email confirmation from them. They are already in Shoreditch)
2. Adventure Bar is becoming Tsunami (Japanese place in Charlotte Street and opening the end of this month)
3. Franco Manca is taking over the Draft House (opening by the end of the year)
4. Picture House is taking over the Church Hall (opening in December)
5. M&S taking over Iceland-- does anyone know if / when this is actually happening
6. The Dog in Dulwich Village is going to have a boutique hotel
7. Hope and Greenwood will become a 'fancy dog shop'
8. Haus of Wood is rumoured to be turning into a Black Lab Coffee (not sure if this is true)
9. New Cafe and Gymboree where the Electic Cafe used to be on Peckham Rye overlooking the Common
10 La Scala on Grove Vale (new Italian cafe) has just opened
11 Morrisons is rumoured to have taken a small shop on the residential development near ED station

What's happening with the Irish Shop and ED Deli?

What's new in Peckham? Anything else opening in the Village?

Edited to expand list

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was 2014:10:02:10:31:06 by LondonMix.

"Fancy dog shop"? Blimey.
Thanks for the summary LM. All good.

There was a spell about mid 2000's when lots changed and then I felt for some years it stayed much the same - nice to see new business opening up again as per your list and the new ones already opened over the last 12 months or so.

Haven't had a new curry house for a while.
Yeah edcam, I'm trying not to be skeptical and wish the new venture well...

MickMac-- the pace of change feels like its really accelerated in the last 12 months. I've lived here for pushing 10 years and I'm not sure I've noticed so many shops that look like building sites at once.

I just remembered that Haus of Wood is becoming a coffee shop right and a new Italian coffee place just opened near ED station

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2014:10:01:14:35:27 by LondonMix.

4 Quarters Bar on Rye Lane
Lerryns Cafe on Rye Lane
Peckham Bazaar on Consort Road
Blackbird Bakery at Queens Road Station
Beer Rebellion Bar on Queens Road
Didn't know about Burro e Salvia - sounds great.
Shame about Hope & Greenwood turning into a poncey pooch emporium.
The changes on Bellenden Road have over the last 12 months have been pretty good too (not to mention forest Hill, Honor Oak, Brockley etc). Feels like SE London generally is really changing.
Sydenham, and EVEN Penge *gasp* are areas where change is afoot too. Since moving to Penge in Feb it really feels like ED did maybe 12 years back. People are coming for the housing which is similar stock to ED but a fair bit cheaper, and with them is coming change.

I'm happy with that so long as I get a good pub and they keep the 99p shop (Oh my God that place is wicked, who knew?!)
Re 99P shop, been using the one in Peckham for years and frequently said so on here (LadyD is too I think) smiling smiley
Burro e Salvia looks cool. I didn't know about that. I'd definitely be interested to hear any info about what the ED Deli is becoming - it's a fair amount of space in a prime location.
Finally a Japanese !!!!!!!!!!!
££££ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Re 99P shop, been using the one in Peckham for
> years and frequently said so on here (LadyD is too
> I think) smiling smiley

Isn't there a 98p shop in Peckham? You're being mugged off.
I was sitting outside Oddonos last night and there were lot's of people outside Jade's too. It's good on that little stretch, because the pavement is wide enough to accommodate outside seating. Add the new Italian to the parade and it will be quite buzzy.

Shame about Moxon's stinking it up tho winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2014:10:01:16:12:22 by rahrahrah.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> ££££ Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Re 99P shop, been using the one in Peckham for
> > years and frequently said so on here (LadyD is
> too
> > I think) smiling smiley
>
> Isn't there a 98p shop in Peckham? You're being
> mugged off.

smiling smiley
I'm excited about the new Japanese place! Now I live up te library end I don't venture to Brixton as much and I love Fujiyama there!!
I think the Crown & Greyhound is being revamped and the boutique hotel is an addition rather than a replacement.
Yippee a Japanese big grin)))) I'm very happy too
< Hope and Greenwood will become a 'fancy dog shop' >

What about a fancy cat shop? I'm sure that the pampered felines of ED would welcome this very much.
Word on ED Deli is it is to become a Cook shop, but since they have one nearby in West Dulwich, I think there's mischief in my aviary.
Cook shop just started doing deliveries as well so I'd be suspicious but thar would be great
££££ Wrote:

> Re 99P shop, been using the one in Peckham for
> years and frequently said so on here (LadyD is too
> I think) smiling smiley

Lol, yep, I love a bargain :-)

--------------------
¡Hasta la Victoria Siempre!
Not a shop, but Daniel's (Walters Family School of) Taekeondo have moved to Bussey Buildings and have a permanent base now.

--------------------
¡Hasta la Victoria Siempre!
££££ Wrote:

> Re 99P shop, been using the one in Peckham for years
Which one in particular? There are at least four.

Also, not a new business as such, but looks like Peckham Refreshment Rooms are expanding into the shop next door.
Cook shops are really not very good

All "cooked by Steve" type blandishments but pretty dull bland food
Oh really-- I've never used Cook Shop but was always tempted to. What a shame.
The mains are ok but massively overpriced. It makes folk feel better about themselves when buying a ready-meal.

But the sides are grim. And if you can't even be bothered to boil a potato for mash....well.....
Cook Shop puddings are OK - indeed some are good - particularly if puddings aren't your thing, but you're having to cater for others.
rahrahrah Wrote:

> I was sitting outside Oddonos last night and there
> were lot's of people outside Jade's too. It's good
> on that little stretch, because the pavement is
> wide enough to accommodate outside seating. Add
> the new Italian to the parade and it will be quite
> buzzy.
>
> Shame about Moxon's stinking it up tho winking smiley

Careful.. Remember the indignation that abounded when Franklins put a few extra chairs out. Looking forward to Burro and the Black Lab. All the others (bar the silly dog shop) sound like good additions.
The new Electrical Showroom cafe on the Rye could also be good. Sounds like a lot of thought has gone into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2014:10:02:10:03:05 by jimbo1964.

Just looked at the website, mains look to be £4-£5, which doesn't seem too bad... isn't that similar to a supermarket ready meal?

I can definitely see the appeal of something like this... for instance, I love shepherds pie but if I get home from work at 8pm or whatever, I'm not going spend an hour making the sodding thing. Supermarket ready meals tend to taste a bit grim, and usually too salty. Takeaways tend to cost a minimum of £20 for two, and are universally unhealthy.

If it really does come to ED, I'll probably give it a go and judge for myself.

Original thread | JSON