East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Shadowfax [an East Dulwich band]

Shadowfax were an East Dulwich band based at 24 Matham Grove.

A single was released in 1980 on Risky Discs [Risk / 1]:

The Russians Are Coming / Calling The Shots [both tracks written by Martin Harris]

Does anyone have further information?
I'm curious about why you are interested.
I imagine that you now live in Matham Grove and have found an old single of this band in the attic or have peeled some old wallpaper away and found an old flyer stuck to the wall.
Did they do a tour of the midlands supporting Creme Brulee in 1983?
Just a guess
Good luck with your search
More prosaic.

I bought it for 10p from a local junk/charity shop about twenty years ago.

There's a picture of the sleeve here:

[cgi.ebay.co.uk]
Well if there are any mint 7" there you're in luck.
This one is going for 300 dollars!!
[www.musicstack.com]
My mate Steve Overbury used to manage Shadowfax and lived in the same house at that time. He's just had a book published called Guns, Cash and Rock & Roll - The Managers, about certain managers in the music biz. Worth buying as is a very good read. Check it out at www.gunscashandrocknroll.co.uk
Hello,

I don't know if you're interested anymore, or if anyone will even read this, but Martin Harris is my father. I've got a few copies of that vinyl. I've only recently seen that one is being sold on ebay for a Buy it Now price of $333. How it got to America I'll never know. How did you get a hold of a copy?
Looks like you'll be able to afford that bumper breakfast at Franklins after all, Macroban.
*Bob*, I didn't know Franklins does barter, but I wouldn't give up my copy of the earliest known (so far) East Dulwich single.

Perhaps you could barter a Franklins Breakfast Song. You know the sort of thing:

We are Franklins, fresh and green
The finest breakfast you've ever seen...
I know a certain someone who has a whole box full of that single in his attic.
Steve O?
Yup!
At the time, around 1980, they were one of the best in south London - hard pop with a demon guitar person. We made the single and then they started dropping like flies. Phil the guitarist OD'd and died (body discovered by his dealer). Darryl the replacement jumped off an Old Kent Road tower block (body only identified months later when his mum recognised his tattoos). Tony the drummer got involved in a fight in the North Cross Road. Hammer on head with long term consequences. Kev the co-manager hanged himself. Now I hear that Martin the singer/writer is in very poor health.

It seems impossible to live a long and normal life in rock n roll.
With a CV like that you should easily be able to shift your box of unsold singles on Northcross Road market.
I was at school with Darryl, he was at Wilsons in Camberwell although I think he was in the year below me. He was, without any doubt, a very talented guitarist and a lovely guy. I can't remember if I ever saw Shadowfax, did they gig locally?
steveo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> At the time, around 1980, they were one of the
> best in south London - hard pop with a demon
> guitar person. We made the single and then they
> started dropping like flies. Phil the guitarist
> OD'd and died (body discovered by his dealer).
> Darryl the replacement jumped off an Old Kent Road
> tower block (body only identified months later
> when his mum recognised his tattoos). Tony the
> drummer got involved in a fight in the North Cross
> Road. Hammer on head with long term consequences.
> Kev the co-manager hanged himself. Now I hear that
> Martin the singer/writer is in very poor health.
>
> It seems impossible to live a long and normal life
> in rock n roll.


Blimey. Write a book - I deamnd to know more thumbs up
He's written two so far Pongo. Only read the first one but worth buying......support your local authorthumbs up
By a strange coincidence my father brought home some vinyls from a job he was doing and one of them is a mint condition Shadowfax Album called The Dreams of Children. Wonder if its worth anything.
Perhaps you could drop the LP in on John at Dream Machine and he could make a bootleg CDR.

I'd buy one.
Not the same Shads I'm afraid
hi i dont know if you will read this, but phil lowe the gutarist was my dad, would be great to chat
macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps you could drop the LP in on John at Dream
> Machine and he could make a bootleg CDR.
>
> I'd buy one.

xxxxxxx

Dream Machine? Is that still going somewhere? I still miss them every time I pass that basement next to the Palmerston sad smiley
Sue - I think he moved Herne Hill way. For a while he was running a weekend / Saturday record fair if I remember right, but gone quite. I think a couple of people on here are still in touch with him - and his id may still be active if you PM Him.
Shadowfax played in the uplands an cherry tree in the 1980s i hung out with yh and saw them plsy many times I knew them all well, so sad to hear do many have died, there was also another band at the same time in east dulwich they were all good friends Tony Redmond & Nigel hine who went on to form the tribute bank 'Think floyd' both too have sadly passed away,
I lived at Worlingham ROad
A Mr D Bowie lived there before and every now and then a fan would turn up.

--------------------
Nor do I
When did Bowie live on Worlingham Road? News to me e-dealer.
The more copies of a valuable single (or any collectable) you find the less they are worth! Keep them under your hat! Very sad story about the members of the band.
fireangel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Shadowfax played in the uplands an cherry tree in
> the 1980s i hung out with yh and saw them plsy
> many times I knew them all well, so sad to hear do
> many have died, there was also another band at the
> same time in east dulwich they were all good
> friends Tony Redmond & Nigel hine who went on to
> form the tribute bank 'Think floyd' both too have
> sadly passed away,

Cripes, the story gets worse. Nigel Hine was also in Shadowfax for a short while. Another suicide. The curse of the Shads rolls on.

Happily the rhythm guitarist Ken is alive and well.

Look after yourself Ken
Tony red had MS, Mel is doing really well and wiggy (2 heart attacks)too I'm sure you remember them both
Is that Wiggy who was in Billy Bragg's early band Riff Raff?
I don't think it was that Wiggy.

Original thread | JSON