East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Attempted theft of motorcycle

At 5.40 this morning, three people on two motorcycles attempted to steal another motorcycle in Pellatt rd. Make sure your bikes are chained to a lamp post and the police also recommended using a cover on parked motorcycles.
In some areas chaining a motor cycle to a lamp post will incur a penalty (fine)

Just check before doing so.

DulwichFox
So sorry to hear this singalto.

--------------------
Humanist Funeral Celebrant
Having been a motorcyclist back in the day and having had a Brand new bike stolen, I know how this feels like.
Devastaing. I got my bike back but was damaged.

Foxy
It's my neighbour's bike and, mercifully the b******s didn't get it... Only a bit of damage was done to it as they were trying to break the lock by using a metal pole with a bicycle saddle still attached to it.. 😳
If anyone wishes to have a motor bike ground anchor installed in their front garden for free please get in touch.

--------------------
Regards cllrjamesbarber@gmail.com
07900 227366
Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward
Skype cllrjamesbarber
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]
Most people don't have enough space or none at all in their front garden.
Anchors are needed on the road.
Agree re: road anchors. There is very little you can legally and practically secure a motorcycle to.
DulwichFox, the police officers who attended said that my neighbour should chain his 🏍 to a lamp post. Are you saying that this is wrong?
Another attempted motorcycle theft on Pellatt road.
3 guys on two Scooters.
02:46am

When will this end??
Caesi01 I heard the motorcycles at that time and looked out of the window but they'd gone. Did you call the police? Which end of the road was this?
yes, called the police straight away.
My bike cover was also lifted up over the front tyre this morning when I left for work - appears that someone was having a look at it. Also Pellatt Road
I heard them stop outside your house, Robert_F and looked out of the window but they had ridden off at high speed. Although I didn't see them, I am sure they were not the same lot as on Saturday morning as the motorcycles I heard today were much more powerful.
The police came around 3:20-3:30 slowly driving down Pellatt Rd.
Why did the police think they would get out of driving down Pellatt rd 40 minutes after the event?
I think there should be more motorcycles parking bays with rails we can lock our bikes to, like the one at the Lordship Lane end of North Cross Road. There is a paucity of secure bike parking bays around Southwark. Indeed, when North Cross Road is closed Saturdays we can't use that one bike park. And the bike park nearly opposite the little Sainsburys opposite Nigel Road Peckham, does not have a sign saying it is a bike park so it is thus not a 'legal' dedicated one; all the taxis use it.

We have had a bike park on the estate but no money for a rail to lock the bikes to, so useless really,

Back to the OP. I am again sorry. I would be gutted!

--------------------
Humanist Funeral Celebrant
Problem east of Peckham Rye also, they use bolt croppers, the Kryptonite New York faggedabout it lock is only £54 from Halfords if ordered on line and is crop proof.
just wanted to thank James Barber for helping me getting a ground anchor quickly and efficiently installed.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> If anyone wishes to have a motor bike ground
> anchor installed in their front garden for free
> please get in touch.
Again, last night, 1.30am:

4 guys on 2 scooters. One pillion was taking pics of parked motorbikes.
Lock up your bikes, preferably to a post, anchor, etc.
Crime on ED is like Southern. Gov does nothing about it, keeps saying it will ;)
what are they supposed to do?
[www.bbc.co.uk]
uncleglen Wrote:

> what are they supposed to do?
> [www.bbc.co.uk]
> m-36467725

Yeah, bloody foreigners coming over here stealing our motorcycles...except nowhere has anybody apart from you made any allusion to the offenders' nationality. Research has shown that proportionately immigrants commit no more crime in the UK than the native population - in fact in areas which experience mass immigration from eastern Europe rates of vandalism, burglary and car crime actually decrease [www.independent.co.uk]

There are a handful of members of the EDF who appear to have lost their way en route to the Daily Mail comments page...
At least once a week I hear scooters slow down by our house, to check out my (covered and ground-anchored) bike. They're just waiting for the one time I forget to lock it properly.
same here.
turning into a routine

kford Wrote:

> At least once a week I hear scooters slow down by
> our house, to check out my (covered and
> ground-anchored) bike. They're just waiting for
> the one time I forget to lock it properly.
My missus says CCTV is overkill - starting to wonder
nunhead_man Wrote:

> My missus says CCTV is overkill - starting to
> wonder

Unfortunately I don't think CCTV deters them anyway. They wear helmets and take off their license plates so can't be identified. They just don't care.
nunhead_man Wrote:

> My missus says CCTV is overkill - starting to
> wonder

To be honest all you're likely to catch is a film of guys with helmets on and false reg plates...if I was still biking (had to give up after my beloved Aprilia was nicked and the insurance became higher than the value of the bike!) I'd invest in one of those motion sensors that texts you if it's interfered with and maybe a GPS tracker.
I have an alarmed padlock in addition to the bike's alarm. Seems to have put them off for now.
I have requested that the council look at including a separate section with ground anchors for parking motorcycles at the end of some of the proposed yellow lines at each junction that they insist on installing. Where included that particular section of yellow lines could be a bit shorter while still maintaining the sight lines that appear to be the purpose of the lines.

Original thread | JSON