East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

powercut

therapia blacked all the crimean war roadsExclaimation about an hour.quite cool to see london life as it was b4 electricity but my macs got fried. smu restart button is what u need to find (little squre piece with tiny circular button by ram) the all is ok.)
phew saved!
You talk in riddles, sir, but you appear to be encountering some sort of assault upon your household.
Should you require my services to take arms against your sea of troubles, then consider me all tooled up and prepared to involve myself in a melee.
I remain of course your humble etc etc.
sure, thats why i mentioned the smu reset..so any similar people such as I will not have to pay a fortune to get the machines going again. cheers though. glad to know youre around if needed.
Consider me your bondsman. My sword is yours.
You might want to invest in an uninterrupted power supply, or a solid state Hard drive Woodie -=^..^=-
Hi Shu. one thing, its been mentioned here about how many planes there are above us here. in a powercut you notice them much more.
Man, all we got here was a brief dip and surge..

Should see the planes over Richmond, must do some serious lung damage?
We had a powercut on Ivydale Road at about... 7.30pm, it lasted about 20 minutes. I dashed straight for my box of emergency candles and lit as couple, was very romantic.

Looked out the window to see if it was just us or the whole street, it was the whole street. I went outside in bare feet but either nobody else had noticed or they were all asleep, because no one came out for about 10 minutes until my neighbour made an appearance and we discussed the situation in the dark. The only light was from the passing cars... and the pub funnily enough (we decided they must have a generator, can't stop those beer pumps pumping).
woodie Wrote:

Hi Shu. one thing, its been mentioned here about
how many planes there are above us here. in a
powercut you notice them much more.

exactly what I thought Woodie! There seemed to be thousands of them in the sky!
nunheadbelle Wrote:

We had a powercut on Ivydale Road at about...
7.30pm, it lasted about 20 minutes. I dashed
straight for my box of emergency candles and lit
as couple, was very romantic.

Looked out the window to see if it was just us or
the whole street, it was the whole street. I went
outside in bare feet but either nobody else had
noticed or they were all asleep, because no one
came out for about 10 minutes until my neighbour
made an appearance and we discussed the situation
in the dark. The only light was from the passing
cars... and the pub funnily enough (we decided
they must have a generator, can't stop those beer
pumps pumping).

They may not have had a generator. I am on Limesford Road and we got a dip and surge. Very strange - I was standing talking to my family after getting in from work and the lights dimmed for a few seconds. At the same time that they brightened the subwoofer connected to my PC made a very strange subwoofer sound. Then every thing was nornal again
A surge protector surely. How is a solid state HD (non volatile RAM) going to help!?
Just to clarify....

Surge protector = cheap, good against spikes - deck very prone to crashing (unless it's a laptop)

uninterrupted power supply = bit expensive (£50-£300 or so) depending on how much your deck sucks at peak performance + monitor - gives you enough time to shut down if the power stays off (and can be done automatically)

clean wall power supply = expensive (£300-£800) - the reassurance of your home circuits not adversely affecting your
hardware, a good option for those doing audio/video work at home.

Sold State drives = expensive - the advantage being power outages or surges far less likely to result in CRC errors, page file interruptions, file allocation table corruption etc.
We had a powercut in Colyton Rd from around 7.45pm till 9pm last night. It certainly makes u realise how unprepared u can b!
... checks the fork 'andles supply...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2008:10:24:15:37:40 by PeckhamRose.

Ahhh 'Open all Hours' I like that joke the finger smiley

PeckhamRose Wrote:

... checks the forkcandles supply...
woodie Wrote:

sure, thats why i mentioned the smu reset..so any
similar people such as I will not have to pay a
fortune to get the machines going again. cheers
though. glad to know youre around if needed.

Em... If my PC is not working then how would I have accessed this life saving gem of information . . . ?
Erm, from your other one?
That is now being used as a paper-weight and to keep the door open.
was gonna say.use the other heh. worth knowing about though, how you reset the on/off. if say it was in sleep mode it may not know if its on off sleeping or whatever when the power comes on. so you think its broken. seeing as, seems to be more power cuts recently. weve had a few drops in power here.
It's like a different language...
UPS is effectively a large battery - Datacenters use them to keep equipment up for a short while (few hours) to switch to another power source (generator) or bring equipment down gracefully.

Wouldn't want a load of batteries in my home to be honest - so not something I'd use smiling smiley

Original thread | JSON