East Dulwich (Mobile) Forum

Can you still get biodegradable bags for garden waste

Does anyone know if the council still provides these bags , used to be avail in libraries . Thanks
You mean the brown paper ones?
Still in Dulwich library, I think
Yes but I haven't had any luck in the last month. Their stock goes really quuxk, they're delivered every Thursday to Dulwich Library
I got some from the Library two weeks ago, so yes - but stock goes down very quickly as others have said.
They also have them at the Francis Peek Centre (park office) in Dulwich park smiling smiley !
Yes , thanks for reply
Thank you all for advice , I'll try dulwich library again smiling smiley
They had them in the library a couple of days ago, however they said they ration them because demand is so high.

If you need a lot, I would go to the office in Dulwich Park.

But I think you may be able to get them delivered directly from the council, as you can with bins?
Demand is high and staff give people ten rather than the usual five, so if you go and you don't get even one, it could be because people are asking for more and compromised staff are handing out more.
Some garden centres have them. The one in West Dulwich does.
I really miss the mini garden centre on Upland Rd as that's where I used to get mine. I've tried looking on the southwark website a while back & couldn't find any information, I thought they'd stopped doing them sad smiley I don't understand why there is such a shortage?
Callie Wrote:

I really miss the mini garden centre on Upland Rd
as that's where I used to get mine. I've tried
looking on the southwark website a while back &
couldn't find any information, I thought they'd
stopped doing them sad smiley I don't understand why there
is such a shortage?

Because people take a lot and stockpile them to save time wasting frequent trips to the park office?
Dulwich pot and plant garden has them. The garden centre next to north Dulwich station.
Yes, Dulwich Pot and Plant next to North Dulwich Station have got them.

Plus also there is usually a large supply in the foyer at the Francis Peek Centre (the community centre) in Dulwich Park, which also has a large car park near to the College Gate entrance.

--------------------
Robin
Twitter: @ex_cllr_rch
Thank you 😊
You could always buy some.
If you put it into a plastic bag and bin it they will still take it away,i dont see why we should have to pay for something that southwark would like to be done.
Can you wrap it in newspaper? As for not wanting to pay for stuff - public money isn't infinite, much as we would like.
There is a phone number on the bags to ring if you want more, so I think they may deliver them as they do replacement bins.

Nigello, you can not easily wrap garden waste in newspaper, it would just all fall apart.
FYI, I was at Dulwich Park yesterday, so I popped into the Francis Peek Centre to check on the garden waste bags (yes, I'm sad!), and there were none...

So, I talked to a Park Warden who told me that the bags are delivered on Thursdays and are usually gone by Sunday at this time of year, so the best time to drop in and get them is Friday or Saturday at the latest.

--------------------
Robin
Twitter: @ex_cllr_rch
The garden centre next to Dulwich railway station - the one near Redpost Hill can't remember whether it's West or North Dulwich - they normally have a huge stock and they don't charge for them.
Or you could ask for a brown bin which is only for garden waste.
SoozieW Wrote:

Or you could ask for a brown bin which is only for
garden waste.

You could if you've got room for a green bin, blue bin and brown bin and have enough garden waste at all times of year to fill the brown bin .....
Thanks for all helpful posts smiling smiley
I did then noticed Southwark council ones in street , two girls at uni every little helps 😊
I have some of these bags but I'm not sure what I do worth gem on e they are full. How do I get them collected? (Sorry, never had a garden before!)
you leave them outside on bin collection days for you - garden waste is collected every week.

Original thread | JSON